Thursday, July 19, 2007

Buffalo West Essentials Pt. I

I can't believe how time flies. Were almost at August and summer is rapidly coming to an end. Our warm sunny days are numbered in New York and I haven't posted nearly enough Reggae for my taste so here I go. I present 3 tracks in no particular order that I quite simply could not live without. Enjoy.

Althea & Donna: Uptown Top Ranking

This track was the biggest hit for Althea Forest and Donna Reid reaching the top of the U.K. charts in 1978. Although most of their albums remain out of print and extremely hard to find, 2001 saw the reissue of the Uptown Top Ranking full-length on the Caroline label.

Lloyd Charmers: Darker Than Blue

I know I've just recently posted a pair Lloyd Charmers tracks, but I can't help it. I'm hooked on this heartbreaking cover of one of Curtis Mayfield's most powerful compositions. Backed by Third World, Charmers also sings the haunting backing vocals. This is the title track on the Blood & Fire compilation Darker Than Blue: Soul from Jamdown (1973-1980), a must for any music collector.

Steel Pulse: Roller Skates

This tale of a stolen boombox is a standout on Steel Pulse's 1984 release Earth Crisis.

No comments: