Thursday, June 14, 2007

Going Back To New Orleans


Well folks, I'm off to New Orleans for a few days and I hope to return with a slew of new music for you all. Until then, here are a couple gems from an Excello compilation that I picked up on my last visit to New Orleans. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

Kip Anderson: You'll Lose A Good Thing

Actually recorded in South Carolina in 1967, this single broke the Billboard R&B Top 40 charts. Unfortunately his heroin addiction forced Excello to drop Anderson a couple years later. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 1977 where he formed a gospel group. He later hosted a a daily gospel show on an AM radio station.

Jerry Washington: Right Here Is Where You Belong

I love the scene acted out at the start of this track recorded in 1972. This was a minor hit for Excello but the biggest hit for Washington.

Both of these tracks can be found on The Excello Story, Vol. 4: 1961-1975

No comments: