Monday, March 19, 2007

I Love Music


Songs praising the importance and power of music are as common as songs about love found and lost. I always seem respond to these tracks because I share this love for music. These great artists can explain this passion much more eloquently than I ever could.

Curtis Mayfield: Soul Music

Taken from Curtis' Give Get Take Have album from 1976, this track is bright and cheery. Curtis sings of the virtues of soul as a healer for life in the city. This music will take you to a higher place. The disco strings are almost too much, but Curtis' honest falsetto vocals keep it real.


Edwin Starr: Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On

Edwin Starr's vocals are as raw as Curtis' are gentle. This track is as funky as it gets. Again the music will take you higher. Released as a single for Motown in 1972, Funky Music... can be found on numerous Best of's.

The O'Jays: I Love Music

Cleveland based trio The O'Jays were one of the most successful (and in my opinion the best) acts to come from the direction of Gamble & Huff. Released in 1976 on the stellar Family Reunion album, this track was a disco smash but make no mistakes, this one is pure soul.

BONUS TRACK
Flunk: I Love Music

Not much musically going on here, but hey, that's Brother Ray talking! This late night fare from Norway can be found on Flunk's 2002 release For Sleepyheads Only.

No comments: