Monday, December 8, 2008

Lennon Lives



I
t's hard to comprehend that 28 years have passed since the tragic killing of John Lennon. His music and the music of The Beatles are still very much alive and with next year's eventual release of the remastered albums and digital release there are no signs of slowing. Here are a few soulful covers as tribute to my favorite songwriter.

Joe Bataan: This Boy

Arguably one
of Lennon-McCartney's first "great" songs cooly delivered by the amazing Joe Bataan. That bridge gets me every time. Get it on Bataan's 1972 release Sweet Soul

Jackie Robinson: In My Life

This is a tune I often turn to to remind me of John Lennon's genius. It never fails to move me and Jackie Robinson's sweet vocals captures the nostalgia of the lyrics. You can find this track on Trojan's uneven Beatles Tribute Box Set.

Donny Hathaway: Jealous Guy


A touching rendition of one of John Lennon's greatest solo tunes. Get it on Donny Hathaway's 1972 Live release or also on fellow blogger Oliver Wang's Soul Sides, Vol 1 compilation.

No comments: