Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Soulful Christmas
















T
he standards are great but just because it's the holidays doesn't mean we don't need soul. Here are handful with soul to sprinkle on your egg nog. Good God!

James Brown: Soulful Christmas


The Godfather's holiday thank you to his fans.

Donny Hathaway: This Christmas


I guess you could call this a classic by now. It's certainly one of my favorites and you won't find a voice much smoother than the great Mr. Hathaway. From the 1971 self titled release.

Ike & Tina Turner: Merry Christmas Baby


We lost Ike Turner this year and as tribute I give you one of the toughest, in-your-face versions of this Baxter-Moore classic (see previous post). That beat is relentless and Tina really belts it out.

John Legend & Stephen Colbert: Nutmeg


I don't know how many of you saw the Stephen Colbert Christmas Special, but I'm still laughing! A definite highlight was John Legend's Al Greenesque jam to his favorite spice.

No comments: